Tela Guitar Luthiery School provides private instruction that covers basic guitar maintenance, advanced guitar procedures such as fretwork in addition to production of a string instrument ( most typically a guitar ) . Although officially a two year program the actual duration of the program can very from 8 months to 2 1/2 years much of which is dependent on the frequency of sessions the student schedules.
A certificate of completion is issued at the completion of each class/topic. Materials are excluded from the tuition fee, however a complimentary set of guitar strings is provided within the structure of each class, beginning with Class 2a.
Students are encouraged to provide their own PPE especially in the guitar building portion of the program where we are involved in a wood dust environment. Also, we encourage to bring along bottled water as wood dust can result in possible mild dehydration. Tuition payments can be made by cash, cheque or by paypal.
What is a luthiery school ? It is a school where string instrument building and / or string instrument repair is taught. Our school is unque for several reasons:
1) We teach both guitar repair/maintenance and guitar building. Our program starts from the very basics of guitar repair and maintenance which then culminates in the building of a guitar ( or other related string instrument ).
2) Classes are taught within a private student / teacher format – this ensures greater learning than found in a group class format.
3) Topics outside of the curriculum may also be scheduled to suit the needs of students.
4) Intern / apprenticeship programs are also available. Contact for more information.
5) Arrengements can be made for students to use our shop space for additional luthiery related projects.
Our program is a two – year program. It can be completed within a 6 to 9 month period if a student schedules at least one class per week and is able to perform some of the building tasks outside of our shop.
A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION is issued after completion of each class.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION : We take precautions to ensure the safety of all that visit or are enrolled as a student in our luthiery school program. Out of respect to our customers, visitations and student sessions are conducted on an appointment basis – this will usually mean that we serve the public on a one-by-one appointment basis. Students are encouraged to be properly prepared to partake in a class so with that in mind please consider the following:
– bring along a bottle ( or two ) or other type of a container of water as woodworking involves the creation of wood dust ( which we control to a degree with vacuums and dust extractors ) which can have a dehydrating effect on the person.
– bring along a DUST MASK to lessen wood dust ( and other possible pollutant ) exposure in addition to SAFETY GLASSES as well as EAR PROTECTION. PLEASE NOTE that this pertains to students enrolled in the 2nd YEAR of the program where we get into actual woodworking and usage of various hand and power tools which will produce wood dust and noise ( power tools ).
– under no circumstances DO NOT COME to visit or for a class if you are feeling ill in any way so as not spread your condition to others. One should rest and not be woodworking and be exposed to wood dust when feeling sick.
– Please DO NOT CONSUME any alcohol, prescription or other drugs on the day of your session !
With these in mind your experience should be both educational and mindfully healthy and pleasant.
Please also note that while we will enroll students starting at the age of 15, those between the ages of 15 and 18 need to be accompanied by their parent(s) or legal guardian for the entire class session which is usually of a 3 hour duration per session.